Sunday, May 21, 2017

My House




People have asked, do you live in a grass or a mud hut? Do you have running water? Do you have electricity? All of these are great questions because they have no idea what Togo is like. So I'd like to show you how my family and I live in Togo. I would love to show you personally and have a cup of coffee or tea with you but a picture will have to do.

This first room is my favorite. It is peaceful and cool, and is full of tropical plants. It has lots of textures and some color. Jesse and I love to sit here in the morning to read and drink our coffee. The boys love the porch too; it is a great place to snuggle up on someones lap! Before that it was completely unusable because the mosquitos are so bad on that side of the house. Now we love it so much that we wish we had done it years ago when we fist moved here. When you come to Togo we will sit out there with our coffee and chat!

When we first arrived in Togo we decided to get some seagrass chairs made. It has been a great investment. I think they make this room, and they are my favorite thing in the room. I love to decorate with local things that have been made here. I have three baskets on the wall, which are normally used to sell things on, and the big bowl on the table is made from a cashew tree. Just recently I asked a gentleman from one of the trainings if he knew of anyone who makes rope and I asked him if he could buy me a few rolls of it in the village. I expected small rolls like a ball of yarn, but to my surprise he brought these massive things! I love them, though, and I think they make a great statement. The mat on the floor is a large muslim prayer mat. I love how colorful it is. These mats are used by everyone in Togo, and I love decorating with them. My favorite part about them is that you can just hose them off when they get dirty because they are plastic.

I hope you enjoyed my front porch and please stop by again, I will be sharing more of the rooms in the house in the near future.





A ball of locally made rope







Baskets from the market



Muslim prayer mat



Sea grass chair from Ghana


No comments: