Sunday, May 3, 2009

A little village church

May 3, 2009
Today Jesse, Joshua and I and some other missionaries went to a little church in a village about 2 hours away from the capital city, we had a wonderful time singing and hearing His word. Church in Togo is so different from church in the U.S. for one I was sitting a backless bench, but the people hear love church and they love to sing about Christ. I love hearing them sing in French but my favorite is Kabiye it is the mother tongue of the Kabiye people.
After the service we went to a waterfall up on the mountain it was so refreshing, Joshua was having so much fun, I know he could have stayed in that one spot all day long, he loves all of the adventures, he loves Africa.
When we finished at the waterfall we went to a Africans house for lunch, we had fufu and sauce with meat in it, and soda. I learned a few things today about the Togolise culture. When we arrived at the house we sat down in a big room and they began to bring some buckets of water around to us, one had soap in it and the other was just water. I just started washing my hands because in America when you eat you wash both hands right, well not in Togo. A missionary explained to me the left hand is your dirty hand, the one you use when you go the bathroom so they never shake hands or eat with that hand. So he explained to us that you only wash your right hand and you only wash up to the end of your fingers, because that is all you use when you are eating. Strike one for me.
They gave us each a bowl with fufu and sauce in it, I was excited because I love fufu, Joshua was not excited because he thought he was not going to like it, because Jesse does not like it. Well Joshua was wrong he loved it, a African showed him how to eat it and he dug in, he was gnawing on the meat, all of the Africans loved watching him. I believe he will become one of them, that is what one of the Africans told Joshua.
It was a wonderful day, we enjoyed the experience so much. What a wonderful life in Togo.

1 comment:

Janell said...

THAT would have been so neat! How funny the culture difference is! I am sooooo glad Joshua is adjusting so well! PTL!!!