Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some news from Togo


Today is Feb 28th and I have not written in so long, I am truly sorry. The adjustment to Africa has been on the easy side, I do not say that proudly, because I am not in my own house yet, not cooking my own meals, or keeping house. Also we are not in the hottest part of the hot season, a man just told Jesse last night that it will get hotter, it gets to a point that the only relief is in the morning for a few hours, thank you Lord for those few hours. Lately the heat has not been that bad, but the last few days have been brutal, I think the humidity is up so you feel sticky and wet all day. I look forward to my nightly cold shower every night.
Jesse and I started looking for a house as soon as we arrived, Jesse was able to look at one and it just was not for us, he found another house and set up a time to go and see it, it is wonderful, and perfect for us. It has 4 bedrooms and a wonderful kitchen and a beautiful living room, I am so thankful for what He has given us. They are beginning to work on the house now and we will be able to move in around April, or when ever the container arrives.
The container has had some delays, but I know that the Lord knows exactly when it needs to arrive. Please pray that I will be patient with the container, I sometimes feel like my whole life is in the container.
I was talking to one of my missionary friends and she was telling me about a woman that would be a great help to me in my house, her name is Yvette, I am so excited because she has a little boy named David who Joshua loves, he will be turning 7 this year but still close in age, they still like the same things. He comes over every Sat to play with Joshua and Joshua loves it. I am excited to about my future with Yvette, she is a single mom, her husband abandoned her and she has 4 children and she is a beautiful Christian. I am excited to see how God is going to use her in our family.

3 comments:

saheldormparents said...

Welcome to the continent, Tiff. So glad that Joshua has made friends so quickly!! Will you be homeschooling him or will he go to an African school? Mikaylah just started an African Christian kindergarten. She loves it! She comes home singing songs and today she told a story that the teacher told. We are very proud of her as everything is in French and she was refusing to speak French before school started. Now she is very open and even asks what the French word is for such and such. Anyways, pray that your container arrives soon. I understand about the cheese, since it is all imported, but can you get meat in a market? We get all our meat in a market and it is much cheaper (chicken 1800 a kilo and hamburger 2400 a kilo) do you use CFA or a different currency? ANyway I am blabbing on too much, welcome to Africa!!

Janell said...

Praise the Lord Tiff! I am so glad that your transition has gone pretty well so far! We have been praying for you guys. Payton saw the picture you posted and said "WA-WA!!!" It was really cute! I'm suprised he remembered. I'm glad you are updating us, it's great to see what God is doing in your life! I love you girl and miss you bunches...but I am so proud of you guys! xoxoxo Here is a HUGE hug! XXXXXX

Tiffany Shanks. said...

Hey I am sorry I have not had time to look at the comments. I am homeschooling him and he is doing great. He is around a lot of Africans so he is really trying to speak French. We are doing great. Hope you guys are also.